After a grueling year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for the kids and Arthur’s ever-more-challenging role in the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts Office at the Ministry of Magic, do you really think the Weasley family spent holiday in soggy old Ottery St. Catchpole, outside Devon?
Of course not!
The Weasleys were featured on “House Hunters International” back in the early 1980’s, as they went in search of a vacation home in sunny Ambergris Caye, Belize, where they could enjoy sun, surf and sand — and still find a touch of Merry Old England in the former colony known as British Honduras.
As the HGTV program put it at the time: “Can the Weasleys find a rambling quirky structure that complemented the Burrow and their own eccentricities — without all that English fog to thwart their attempts at tanning freckled skin? Will a summer home in Belize put that old magic back into the lives of these hard working wizards and witches?”
These days, locals say, the beginning of high season is marked by the sudden influx of carrot-topped, freckle-faced Weasleys in San Pedro.
Some say that, in recent times, even a paunchy, sun-burned Harry Potter could be seen tooling about in Arthur’s 24-foot fishing boat, here cleverly and magically disguised as a sunken derelict while the home awaits the coming of the Weasleys during high season.
Locals recall one gift shop that tried to market “Weasley Belizely” T-shirts back in the early 1990’s, but most people didn’t get it, mainly because J.K. Rowling hadn’t yet published the books that splayed open the secret life of magic. Way ahead of their time, the shirts were eventually discontinued.
I really, really think this is it, a Weasley vacation home if ever there was one, on the lagoon side of San Pedro.
What do you think?
- Foot-dragging from village to village through Belize (robertjhawkins1.wordpress.com)
- Monkey Bob bets on Belize (robertjhawkins1.wordpress.com)
- OK … inhale, hold breath … jump! (robertjhawkins1.wordpress.com)
- How Much is the Weasley Family Home Worth? (Infographic) (lowdownblog.com)
- No! Not that trip to Belize (robertjhawkins1.wordpress.com)
- Hello, Belize, you beautiful, colorful, complicated thing you! (robertjhawkins1.wordpress.com)
- Pop Quiz on Belize (robertjhawkins1.wordpress.com)
- In Belize, ‘What do you recommend?’ opens doors (robertjhawkins1.wordpress.com)