This morning we walked down the beach to the Exotic Caye Resort so Rose could attend a yoga class. A nice breeze kept the temperature cool and activity on the island seems to be picking up with the weekend.
As luck would have it, there is the Melt Cafe downstairs from the studio with a very strong WiFi signal.
So I ordered up some WiFi, fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee and a bagel.
Mark and Michelle, both retired from the Air Force, recently took over the Melt and are working hard to make a go of it. Yes, working hard is not a foreign concept in the island.
As Michelle pointed out, there is hard work and there is working hard at something you enjoy. And they clearly enjoy their cafe.
This is their first go at a restaurant — in the military, Mark was in telecom and Michelle was in operations. They are emphasizing fresh and local with a nice dose of warmth and personality.
This is a slow time on Ambergris Caye for any business, said Mark. Come October and the high season, everybody starts making a living. “You make your year from October to April,” he said. “After that it is all profit.”
Mark and Michelle took a year off after spending time in Afghanistan as consultants and moved to Las Vegas. When considering their next move they looked at a lot of countries but settled on Belize, specifically Ambergris Caye.
They are avid divers and love fishing and some day in the future there will be a boat of their own. Meanwhile they are working from 6 a.m to around 3 p.m. at the cafe and are thinking of eventually adding dinner to the menu.
They’ve got their two-bedroom oceanfront condo, their business and their dream and they sure seem to be enjoying all of them.
- OK … inhale, hold breath … jump! (robertjhawkins1.wordpress.com)
- Hello, Belize, you beautiful, colorful, complicated thing you! (robertjhawkins1.wordpress.com)
- Waterproof camera for Belize? I’m on the case (robertjhawkins1.wordpress.com)
- Exclusive: Q and A on Why Belize? (robertjhawkins1.wordpress.com)
- No! Not that trip to Belize (robertjhawkins1.wordpress.com)
- Setting Belize aside for a moment …. (robertjhawkins1.wordpress.com)
- Stuff we think we know about Belize (robertjhawkins1.wordpress.com)
- In a rootless world, seeking a home in Belize (robertjhawkins1.wordpress.com)