OK, so I lied (sort of).
I did (sort of) promise that the next post would begin to answer the question “Why Belize?” and I will get to that more directly in the next post, when I publish an exclusive interview with Rose Alcantara that I conducted today during lunch at the Athenian Grill in Suisun, California.
Meantime, here are some little bits that indirectly answer the big “why” question.
Seven more reasons to fall in love with Belize:
- The tallest building in all of Belize is an ancient Mayan structure
- There are more than 900 Mayan sites in a country barely the size of Massachusetts. That’s more Mayan sites than Starbucks in Los Angeles.
- Belmopan, is the smallest capital city in the world.
- The country’s entire population fits somewhere in size between that of Riverside, California and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- There are around 450 islands off the coast of Belize. Can you imagine how long it would take to explore each one — allowing time in between for fishing, snorkeling and scuba diving? (One island is currently for sale for $450,000 and includes boats, a scientific research center and a dock. It is .86 of an acre and is 8 miles from shore. You should check it out. It is called Wee Wee Caye.
- Nowhere in Belize will you find McDonald’s, KFC, Burger King or Starbucks. You will find small cafes and lots of open markets with fresh food.
- It seems like there is a festival almost every day in Belize celebrating something, somewhere.
Primary Source: ReefCI
Stand by for the exclusive interview with Rose Alcantara!